What makes a place romantic? There’s the landscape itself, dynamic and suited for gazing upon with long stretches of wilderness to explore; the climate, with some sense of seasons but never inhospitable; the culture, welcoming and distinct to make you feel like you are a subject in your own narrative—you and a special someone. Places like Helen, with the lush Blue Ridge Mountains, miles of waterfalls and trails, and patently German (but historically Southern) culture, inspire romance and memories of fresh love.
Whether your love is symbolized by a small, quaint German chapel wedding, a lavish vineyard experience, an elegant Old-South farmhouse, or a return to nature, Helen is sure to offer the perfect locale that will live in your hearts forever.
1. Think Small and German
The Volkswagen bug re-invited print advertising with its concept and the “think small” campaign. Germans are big on efficiency and maybe you are too; but like the Germans, you don’t want to sacrifice aesthetics. That’s where the Alpine Wedding Chapel comes in. You can choose from several different options that include an ordained minister, flower arrangements, and a recording of the ceremony.
● The Chapel has a provincial Bavarian style. It is made of cedar and has a 22-foot cathedral ceiling with crystal chandeliers and sconces. It can accommodate up to 40 guests.
● The Garden Room, for up to 25 guests, has windows on three sides so you’ll feel the ambiance of the mountains on one side and Downtown Helen on the other. The indoor gazebo is great for photos.
● The Little Chapel is for the smallest ceremony, up to 12 guests in 6 small pews.
2. Vineyards for Elegance and Timeless Traditions
North Georgia is vying to become the wine-lover’s ideal destination, with around 20 vineyards or wineries scattered throughout. These spacious vistas will make you feel like you two have your own lush planet.
● The Venue at CeNita
Six decades ago, a young couple purchased farmland in the sparsely populated mountains to start a dairy farm. They raised six children and always hoped to see the farm turn into something special. They gifted some of the land to their children, and CeNita (named after parents Cecil and Juanita) Vineyards was born. A rustic, 3,200 sq. ft. covered beam building open to nature and Yonah Mountain was created for the main event space. That building can be shielded by Eisenglass curtains and temperature controlled. You’ll enjoy 1,200 sq. ft of enclosed space for food prep, restrooms, and dressing rooms as integral details of the overall experience.
○ Yonah Mountain Vineyards consists of 200 acres of European grapes and elegant nature. There are several spaces that can become part of your wedding experience.
○ The Grotto with custom chandeliers, a handcrafted sculpture
○ The Wine Cave, the only in Georgia, is a time-tested way to age wine in rows of barrels.
○ The Event Center is a 10,000 square foot facility with a double staircase and an advanced A/V system. An adjacent patio offers a view of Haven Vineyard.
○ The Tasting Room is a 42-foot tall octagon exposed wood room designed for dramatic views.
3. Old-South Family Farms
Perhaps you enjoy the idea of simpler times, when people lived family-centered lives close to the land. Reminscent of such, check out:
● Hardman Farm is in the historic Nacoochee Valley and is home to an 1870 Italianate mansion restored faithfully with many of its original furnishings. Hardman Farm is also home to one of the most recognized landmarks in Georgia, the Nacoochee Indian Mound.
Getting married on the porch of this historic area, surrounded by assorted historic buildings and mountains, will give you the feeling of family continuity and warmth.
● Willow Creek Farm gives you a 40-acre farm and the sound of water rolling over the rocks of a creek. Weddings can be hosted inside the 4,000 sq ft. rustic modern barn or outdoors in a special place where two creeks join as one. A groom’s cabin and bridal cottage are also situated along the water.
4. Back to Nature
If you’re a couple who loves the smell of the Appalachian clay, the rustling of oaks, and the babbling of streams, maybe an outdoor wedding in Helen is for you.
For small, elegant outdoor ceremonies, look no further than Smithgall Woods, home to some of the best trout fishing in North Georgia on Duke’s Creek. The park has 17 bedrooms available in six cottages. Some have porches along trout streams and/or private hot tubs. Look into park approval for your wedding here.
Blue Creek Cabins
Blue Creek Cabins offers outdoor spaces and wedding-specific accommodations for your nature wedding. The outdoor grounds include a Victorian arch overlooking Blue Creek and a white gazebo, while Serenity Log Chapel is the go-to for a reception and more photographs beneath its Tuscan Iron Arch. Blue Creek wedding packages are for up to 50 guests, and you’ll find a sweet bridal suite cabin is just steps from the venue.
Weddings around our lovely German town with the dramatic scenery of ancient green mountains will allow you to craft your own unique memories on that special first day as us.